Patients requesting ear syringe
If you have ear pain, ear infection or history of a perforated ear drum, please make an appointment with the Doctor. If you have a build-up of ear wax you will need to apply olive oil for 14 days. If after this time your ear does not clear please contact the surgery to make an appointment with Practice Nurse for ear syringing. Please follow the instructions below on how to apply olive oil.
You can also purchase an Aculife Ear Wax Removal Syringe from the Chemist to syringe your own ears.
HOW TO USE EAR DROPS
Buy a dropper bottle of olive oil from your Chemist
Installation of Ear Drops
– Preparation for wax removal or to encourage normal expulsion of wax from the outer ear.
When Using Olive Oil Drops
Apply drops 1-2 times daily for 14 days prior to an appointment for wax removal. Alternatively, use weekly as a regular preventative treatment.
1. Lie down on your side with the affected ear uppermost.
2. Pull the pinna backwards and upwards. Drop 2 or 3 drops of oil, at room temperature into the ear canal and massage just in front of the ear.
3. Stay lying down for at least 30 minutes and then wipe away any excess oil. DO NOT put cotton wool at the entrance to the ear. This will absorb the oil and will not allow it to soften the wax.
Please follow instructions carefully or you may have to rebook for further syringing if the wax is too hard to remove.
4. Repeat the procedure with the opposite ear if necessary.
When using Antibiotic/Anti-inflammatory Ear Drops
1. Hold the head over to the non-affected ear.
2. Pull the pinna back and drop the prescribed amount into the affected ear.
3. Return the head to the upright position and wipe away any excess drops.
DO NOT leave cotton wool at the entrance to the ear.
Page last updated: 10 December, 2018